As you can see I’m almost done with the orchid. I will be home much of the day today because of my DH’s Carols & Lessons up in Calistoga tonight, so I know I will get that part done today.
Instead of finishing that last bit of violet, I decided to test out a background stitch. The design has lots of narrow fiddly bits, so large stitches won’t work. Any background stitch will need to be small.
Because it’s going on a bag front, I wanted a stitch with full coverage so something like T Stitch won’t work here. I didn’t want to stitch Tent or a variation because that would be too much like the focal point. Since the threads are all wool, I wanted some contrast.
The minimal instructions that came with the kit suggested Brick Stitch. As I’ve been working on the orchid I have been thinking about it and ruling out possibilities. Giant Brick won’t work; it’s too big. Horizontal Brick won’t work because the design is radial so there is no horizontal or vertical.
I keep thinking about doing some kind of Brick Stitch stripe and I started stitching with this still in mind. That’s why I have stitched along one side only. It turned out that I love the look, the scale is right for even the small spaces. The difference between a straight stitch and the diagonal stitches is just enough to make the design elegant.
I’ll get done what I can today, but next week we’ll look at a different project that’s a Christmas present, so I need to finish it. The bad thing about this project is that I already have three more projects lined up to go once these two are complete. And I just put away my metallics and realized my Kreinik gold stash is overflowing. So I’m adding an canvas to use those up to the pile.