There are many things I love about this clever project from Craft Paper Scissors:
- it’s easy so it would be great to do with kids
- you can try out different color combinations
- it uses up your scraps of thread
- you make something unique to be a gift tag or ornament
- it uses those boxes sitting around for the base
The post suggests using old shoeboxes, string, and hot glue. I can easily see them being made with any uncut packages of thread or yarn. Hot glue attaches things quickly but if you are working with kids you might want to switch to a strong white glue (like Turbo Tacky Glue) — just hold it down a bit. I like the shoebox because they are thick, but not too thick, and sturdy so your ornament will last for more than a year.
Although the post suggests using glitter tape to create the glitter stripes, there are some alternatives that aren’t as neat and quick. You could also paint stripes in a contrasting texture, or paint on stripes of glue and add real glitter. Both these methods would give you a bigger choice of colors.
Adding the tassels uses up even more of your stash.
Find the complete instructions in this tutorial.