Updated June 26, 2020.
Do you ever find yourself wondering around a store or browsing needlepoint web sites wondering what to buy?
Do you find yourself getting flustered and unable to think clearly when you know your husband is sitting out there (im)patiently waiting for you to be done or when you have other things to do?
It’s happened to all of us.
And for all I know, your husband may do this to you at the stores and sites that cater to his hobbies.
Below are my rules for shopping for needlepoint. Shops are allowing shopping by appointment, limited customers, and limited times for shopping. Websites don’t have these limitations, but the time you have to spend shopping online may be limited. These rules work well to make your shopping go smoothly no matter how you shop.
- Always keep a running list of the things you need to pick up. Think of it as your needlepoint grocery list. Get those things first. Then you won’t forget the most urgent things.
- Know what your area and preferred online shops carry. This way you can go to the one(s) that has what you want and need. That way you don’t end up with a substitute thread or unable to get the size of canvas you want.
- Buy canvases yes, but try not to buy the threads at the same time. Your stash is thread you have already. Shop it first.
- If possible when shopping in person find needlepoint shops near shops your spouse will like. My husband never minded a visit to Needle in a Haystack’s original location. Why? Two doors down was a used bookstore. He loves books. I could spend as much time as I wanted and he’d spend more time than I did.
- Looking is not shopping. Do them on different trips. My DH complimented me yesterday. He said how he liked that I didn’t make him spend time in needlepoint stores waiting while I looked around. He wondered how I did it. My secret is simple, if I’m looking not buying, I do it on a trip when he’s not there. If you like omline shopping, this is a great thing to do when you need a short mental break.
Will this work for you?
Certainly some of these rules will help you shop more efficiently. They also help you purchase more intelligently and they’ll keep your husband from groaning every time you want to stop at a needlepoint shop while on vacation.