Have you ever wanted to try a needlepoint technique, but didn’t want to invest in a large project? I feel the same way.
What if I don’t like it? What if it’s too hard?
I’m willing to invest time in trying a technique by making something small. If I like it, then I’m happy to go on to something larger.
There’s a problem with this approach and stand-alone small projects. You end up with a big pile of stitched but unfinished canvases.
This sampler quilt project, Jubilee, is designed to solve that problem. Each of the individual quilt blocks features a different needlepoint technique. That’s right, 12 blocks and 12 techniques.
Yes you could stitch them as individual pieces in any colors you want. But to make a striking needlepoint quilt portrait, I’ve added sashing and a quilted border with corner blocks to make a lovely piece to frame and hang.
To celebrate my upcoming Quilty Needlepoint class (sign up here), I’m making this great project available free here on Nuts about Needlepoint from now through January. Each week, on Tuesdays, the post will cover a new bock. It will start with two posts this week. And end with a post about the borders and corners.
I hope you’ll love it as much as I do.
This project is based on colors found in a single skein of Watercolours. I used Amethyst, but any shade that has a dominant color and two or more accent colors will work.
Many of the treads used are no longer made. If this is the case a recommended substitute is listed in bold after the thread, but color numbers are not given.
You will also see that several brands of silk and cotton floss are listed. Feel free to substitute among all manufacturers, picking those threads that are the best colors for your project.
In tomorrow’s post you’ll learn how to create your own color scheme.
You will need:
- 18” x 22” Pewter Zweigart Orange Line 18-mesh mono canvas
- Felicity’s Garden #50 – Lavender, #37 Cosmos Dinky Dyes Joomla (silk/wool)
- The Thread Gatherer Sheep’s Silk #013 Desert Dawn
- Caron Collection Impressions 1 skein each: Amethyst, 1091, 1092
- Impressions 2 skeins : 1095
- Caron Collection Watercolours – Amethyst
- Kreinik #16 (Medium) braid – 007 Pink
- Kreinik Medium Cord – 012C
- Kreinik Tapestry Braid (#12) – 026V
- Kreinik Fine Braid (#8) – 026V
- Kreinik Silk Serica & Mori, 1 skein/spool each 1092
- Rainbow Gallery Cresto d’Oro – C21
- Rainbow Gallery Neon Rays N98
- Rainbow Gallery Splendor S881 Midnight Purple 11 cards (9 for outer border)
- DMC floss 776 Pink – Medium 5 skeins
- Anchor floss 859
- Needle Necessities Overdyed Floss 182, 1481 Threadworx overdyed floss
- Needle Necessities Madras 652 632 Shaded Petit Very Velvet, Vineyard Silks Tone-on-Tone, Planet Earth Shaded, depending on color
- Needle Necessities Spring II Shadow-dyed – 312S Threadworx Expressions
- Ty-Di cotton plus 2592 (violet), 233 Amy’s Wool Crepe
- Needlepoint, Inc. silk floss 895, 894, 892
Please be aware that when substituting threads, package sizes may not be the same, so buy accordingly.
Follow the project on-line: