Article updated January 26, 2021.
This wall art idea from Shop Sweet Things uses painter’s tape, artist’s canvas, and acrylic paint to make a great modern design.
But we can easily use this idea to make a modern needlepoint sampler.
- Mark out the size of your finished sampler on your favorite mesh of needlepoint canvas.
- Using tape in the width of your choice, press lines of tape on the canvas. Masking and painter’s tape work best for this. For smaller pieces use narrower tape. Press it down hard.
- If you can’t find tape the width you want use a straightedge to draw parallel lines to mark the section.
- Your areas should be irregular in shape.
- Once marked, color the areas with either fabric markers, Copic markers, or acrylic paint. If your threads will be light this step can be skipped.
- Remove the tape and let dry overnight,
- Pick threads for each area. Then pick different but related stitches for each colored area.
- When you have finished stitching the areas find a ribbon in an accent color the width of your dividing lines and couch it down. As long as the lines begin and end outside the stitched areas, your ribbon will not need to go through the canvas. Just lay it on with the ends outside the stitching area and couch it. Finishing will secure the ends.
- Finish it as a pillow or picture.
Thanks to Brit + Co for pointing this great idea out.