I wanted to share with you the finished abstract cross stitch adaptation. The pattern came from the About.com Cross Stitch site. Since any chart which uses only whole stitches can be done as needlepoint, that’s what I did.
The original used a number of different colors. I wanted something more muted, so I chose a color palette based on the Watercolours Amethyst. This meant violets, tending towards blue-violet, pink, gray, brown, and olive green. Mostly one color on the original chart got translated into one thread in my needlepoint.
Before I began the project I pulled all my threads in these colors out and into my project bag. This turned out to be a great idea since there was a time lag in finishing the piece. If I couldn’t remember a thread, I could pick another thread in a similar color.
I also added consistency to the piece by using the same stitch in the same size block throughout the piece. This was pretty much, but not always consistent. While I was stitching it, I felt as if there were too many box stitches, but now that it’s finished, I like that the Herringbone and Cross Stitch blocks are scattered throughout.
It’s been awhile since I’ve done a charted pattern and I’m delighted with the results.