Often you’ll find cute photo frame ornaments at thrift shops and on eBay. I have often wondered if they could frame needlepoint instead of photos. As you can see from the picture above, they can. These ornaments are pretty small (under 2″) so something large and bold will work best. I used this rose alphabet (A-T chart, U-Z chart) to make the initial.
Here’s how to do it.
- Look for ornaments with backings that open or remove. Some photo frames onlly have popckets. These will not jo;d needlepoint, the stitching is too thick.
- Rmove the papr insert or “glass.” Use it to trace the outline onto a scrap of canvas.
- Count the traced canvas and find the center.
- Use the alphabets linked above to stitch the initial in a sparkly thread. The letters should be centered in the outline. They are 11 threads wide and 20 threads high.
- Add a baxkground if desired. Pick a stitch you like.
- Once stitch, cut out at outline & fit into frame. I don’t recommend using the “glass,” t mutes the stotches
- If your neelepoint it too thick to close, you can peel off some layers of cardboar from he inside of the backing.
You’ll have an adorable ornament finished in a few huors.