I think this patch turned out perfectly, I wanted it to be unexpected, so instead of making the star sparkly, I made the background sparkle. This keeps the star in keeping with the rest of the piece, but makes the patch stand out.
It’s further defined because I put a Continental Stitch border around it using an overdyed thread.
Until I tried to design this, I didn’t know how tricky a five-pointed star could be to make in needlepoint. I started by drawing a star on graph paper. Then I turned it into marks of stitches. But filled in, it was lopsided. My first try at making it even, helped but didn’t entirely work. Finally, I took the best looking of each arm and made the corresponding arm match. That’s what’s graphed above (click for a larger chart).
T Stitch is such a favorite with me. I love the rhythm of it, the way it can look tweedy when it’s a different color than the background, or textured, when it matches the background.
Lately I’ve been making T Stitch in horizontal or vertical rows. The direction of the stitches alternates between Continental and Reverse Continental and each row skips every other intersection. It’s best stitched on the intersections with vertical threads on top.
Here’s a rundown of the sampler so far: