Although stitch names are not standardized, here are some helpful terms to help you decipher names.
- Diagonal – stitch on the true diagonal, 45 degrres
- Oblique – slanted stitch not on the true diagonal
- Horizontal, Vertical, and Upright – orientation of Straight Stitches
- Giant – larger units of a stitch, usually expanded in all directions
- – units or groups of stitches surrounded by a border of Tent or Gobelin Stitches
- Open – stitch units or groups with unstitched threads around them
- Exploded – rows of the stitch separated by one or more open threads
- Alternating – stitches change direction with every stitch
- Reverse – diagonal stitches that slant from lower right to upper left
- Expanded – a larger or longer version of a stitch, usually lengthened in only one direction.
About Janet M Perry
Janet Perry is the Internet's leading authority on needlepoint. She designs, teaches and writes, getting raves from her fans for her innovative techniques, extensive knowledge and generous teaching style. A leading writer of stitch guides, she blogs here and lives on an island in the northeast corner of the SF Bay with her family
Leave a Reply