I find that when I’m in a hurry, pulling threads for a project or putting them away, that labeling the containers makes the whole process go faster & easier.
No longer do I have to pull out three drawers to find the Kreinik #16. No longer do I have to remember that Grandeur is not in the drawer marked Grandeur, but in that last unlabeled drawer in the other card catalog.
I had done this, as you can see from the picture awhile ago, but many threads have moved, labels have fallen off, and I have new containers.
I had done these with a P Touch label maker and thought I would find it, but I haven’t, so I got a Dymo LetraTag labeler, and I just love it. It’s small and handheld. While it is slower than the PTouch, it was under $20 at Staples. I also like that the paper backing on the labels is split horizontally, so they are easy to peel, no matter how long the labels are.
I made new labels for one of the card catalogs, pictured above. I’m going to have to get some new cards and split some of the labels into two lines, but with the horizontal paper split, this will be easy.
I like the results with this IKEA drawer unit best. The clear tape and black letters show up well against the unfinished wood.
The results on the wicker drawer set are less successful, but still usable. The uneven surface of the wicker makes it hard to put on the labels and the texture interferes with the type. Using a colored instead of clear plastic will help.
I’m going to label everything else and get some colored plastic tape for my textured and printed storage.
This will make my life so much easier and brings the studio another step closer to completion!