The lovely stars from Whimsy & grace come in two sizes, in gold or silver, and in so many different patterns. I just love them.
You can take her approach of metallic plus white or overdid cream to make your own lovely star.
You can use any stitch you like to fill the star, so the possibilities are endless.
permanent marker made for marking canvas, such as Pilot SC-UF or Sakura Pigma Micron
9″ square 18 mesh mono canvas
white stranded or ribbon-style thread, 1 package
metallic threads in your choice of colors in two sizes for Magyar Star:
white or cream overdyed thread for Gobelin Star
Step-by-step instructions for both stars
Using a permanent marker trace this star outline onto your canvas.
Step-by-step instructions for Zig-zag Gobelin Star
- Starting in the middle of the star, place your first row of Skip-a-row Zig-zag Gobelin.
- There is one open thread between the rows of this stitch. Keeping this in mind, fill the rest of the star with the stitch.
Step-by-step instructions for Magyar Star
- Starting in about the center of the star, begin to make Magyar Cross. This is a compound stitch of metallic and white diamonds, so it is made in steps.
- Now make the Straight Stitches that tie the Cross down using the metallic ribbon, below.
- The metallic part of the star is now complete. Fill in the open areas with Pavilion stitched using your white thread. A diagram of the completed stitch is below.
- The finished size of the star outline is 6.5″ so this would be a great topper for a small tree. Make the outline smaller, about 4-5″ for a great ornament, or bigger for a larger tree topper. If you make it larger, I’d use a bigger mesh canvas.
I’m thinking of making a bunch of small ones to be Christmas door hangers.